Z-Independent vs Router Mounted
There are two types of dust boots and which one you choose greatly depends on a few factors.
- Z-Independent boots hover over your stock allowing your router to move freely in the Z direction. These type of boots are perfect for 2.5d carving like simple signs.
- Router mounted boots attach directly to your router and moves in the Z direction. These type of boots are perfect for 3d carving.
Z-Independent Bracketing? Yes... you will need bracketing with your Z-Independent dust boot. We have the perfect z-independent bracketing system for your Shapeoko 4 with their stock Z-Plus or upgraded HDZ carriages.
Front or Back Loading
PwnCNC revolutionized the CNC dust collection market by releasing the first of its kind "under-the-gantry" or "rear-loading" dust boot design.
- Rear Loading (our v2/v3 designs) gives you the greatest visibility and access to your router, but these features come at a cost... reduced Z capacity.
- Front Loading (our v4 design) gives you a great z-independent boot and requires none. of your Z capacity to make it work. This is perfect if you're cutting very thick stock where every inch of capacity is required
- Alternatively our v7 design offers a router mounted boot that also takes up no Z capacity and will work great on your Shapeoko 4.